30.4.12

Flying - 5km Race Report

Well, ok, maybe not flying - but I decided I can't call the blog post Faster - too easy. Want to know what wasn't easy - my 5km run Sunday morning. Being injured (major IT pain) and having been to the chiro twice last week and to physio once, the plan was to run steady - but not race. I took off with the front group to avoid congestion but it became quickly apparent that it wasn't an overly competitive field. Strike one against the mental game of going steady and not fast. Strike two, I passed the girl who was in second place (yes I counted). Strike three, I got passed by another girl - now I was in it to win it - ok, well, maintain third place at the very least. Strike four, shoulder check at km 4 - there is a girl about 150m behind me, move it! So,  I hung in there to place third overall and PB - definitely not what I had my sights set on this morning. Clearly this being very relaxed before a race is working out in my favour - seemed to work last year for the Ambulance Chasers too.

Here's the thing - nothing about my training would indicate a PB. Nothing. I've done four measly weeks of speed work, and two 500m repeats on Thursday in pain certainly don't count. There has been one quality long run - which of course started the whole IT issue in the first place. So how could I PB? I can only think of two things. 1. Weighing less. I'm five pounds lighter than my last PB. 2. Swimming - I guess it is ultimately the best cross training. I've been on the bike very little, running very inconsistently. Honestly, I can't think of any thing I've done well except maybe rest. Hubby has a shirt that says 'Lazy but talented' - perhaps I should shrink it to wear for myself. Right, PB time - 23:24.

Speaking of hubby - he also PB'd. 19:05. His training plan has been consistent and has certainly paid off. I think that's a PB by over 2 minutes. Huge! Being so early in the year I think we're both feeling confident that we're on a great path towards having a great racing season. To boot - we both won a pair of free shoes too! Mizuno's even, exactly what we already love to wear. Here are the results from the race.


I'm not sure I had on the best race outfit, something to tweak. I did have on my new racing capri's - my Sugoi Piston Knickers. They are moderate compression and I could really feel a difference in my legs. They didn't seem to fatigue throughout the race as my heart was pounding and lungs crying out for oxygen. As a Sugoi Brand Champion I splurged on them and can say they're worth every bit of what I spent. I've been touting the benefits of compression post run and now I can say without certainty that during can be very effective. The part that didn't work was opting to wear my jacket over my sports bra. I guess I must have been warming up in the shade because I sure wish I would have just opted for the t-shirt. Roasty in the spring sunshine this morning.

So now, it's recovery week. As I write I'm hooked up to the TENS machine. This is post foam roller and stretching session, later, Ice of course. I've also got a chiro appointment and two physio sessions this week. Must get better! I'm going to take this time to really work on the weak spots and create a habit of taking care of them. I think it's also time to start putting in some more quality time on the bike and of course time in the pool. I don't think I will stop running altogether but I want to look at doing some deep water running as an alternative. Ideally I'd do one session outdoors a week (trail perhaps) and then start building back up as the triathlon approaches. I want to get there healthy and stay healthy for my 1/2 in August.

I still have some trail races in the back of my brain that are upcoming I'd like to do - so perhaps that one outdoor session will be in the wilderness of the city. In any case, I seem to be back blogging and inspired to achieve my goals to be faster (check), go further (hmm), and be fitter (c'mon glutes).

1 comment:

  1. That is FAST girl! Good for you, now rest up :)

    ReplyDelete