29.10.12

Forty Nine (Almost Done)

Well, after what feels like forever (more than a year) especially after losing steam a few times I am nearing the end of my fifty post challenge. I haven't said much about what I've been doing since the triathlon in June. So before I look forward I will give a (hopefully) brief summary. I have some hopes to add some photos soon.

A week after the triathlon I had a 3km race in Canmore. I was happy to place third overall and it was probably one of my best runs of the year. A week later I had a 10km race. I spent the weeks after the tri doing some moderate workouts (plus the 3km race). I felt primed and ready to run a great 10km - ideally sub 50 minutes. Also trying to follow a half marathon plan I chose an ambitious 4km warm up. Well, being a bit tired off the line and soaring temperatures I crashed at km 5 and ended up not being able to keep my heart out of my throat. 53 some minutes later I was deflated and defeated. Not the race I was imagining. But there's a sunny side to the story - Coach M ran her first race ever! It was mostly a carry between my mom and I - then Dad (hubs) at the end. I think the hubs and I were far more excited than she was - between the heat and time of day she was just ready to nap.

Originally I had ambitious plans to PB my half marathon scheduled in August. Things quickly shifted after my pitiful 10km and picking up coaching two clinics three times a week. My runs became theirs and landscaping dominated the rest of my time. I do have a wicked back and arms though to show for shoveling/wheelbarrowing 30 cubic yards of dirt. With no runs further than 10km since early July I knew there would be no PB. In Edmonton I met up with two friends who were running 'naked'. Watchless, garminless, and with similar goals in mind we had a great time running together for 15km. From there we surged and fell back at different points. At kilometer 17 I was in agony and wanted to be done but somehow I willed myself through the last 4km to finish in a respectable 1:58. Chris was a minute or so ahead and Molly just a few seconds behind. Despite the last 4km hurting a lot it was one of my best runs this year. Running without referencing my wrist every 27 steps was freeing. A flat and uneventful course meant we could chat a bit and catch up on each other's lives - kids, weddings, spouses. I finished hot and happy and knowing that I just don't really like the half marathon distance.

Back from Edmonton I was determined to get on my bike a bit before the duathlon mid-September. I think I got out once on vacation in Kelowna. Vacation was great - a 5km trail run near our resort, the ride, and a gruelling 18km race. Yes, I'm that dumb one who thought running an 18km race from the top of a mountain then back up a hill into a vineyard would be the best thing to do before driving home 10 hours the next day. Peak to Beak was a great way to see Kelowna - and I would consider training for this race again. Despite the challenging course I loved this race; the friendliness of both the runners and organizers, a well organized race, and wine as finisher prizes made for a great morning to run.

Duathlon on the brain I still didn't get any more rides in or great focused runs. Knowing that my training wasn't really up to par to 'race' I went out again garminless and hoped at the least for a result similar to the year before even though the course was different. For the past for years I had either volunteered or raced the event and I will have to say that this year was my favorite course by far.  I hope this one sticks around for a few years. I had a lot of fun on the course - found a 'buddy' to pace for the run - lost him on the bike - but then caught up with him again on the second run. I had great transitions and finished a respectable 12th O/A female.

With two last races in the season I decided I couldn't continue to ignore a plaguing injury since July. My right hip flexor and right SI joint were now excruciating and I couldn't sleep. Some IMS at physio calmed things down enough to have a PB run at Ambulance Chasers 5km  and a decent run at Ekiden to help our store team secure a third place win in our category. About the only thing that got me moving at Ambulance Chasers was the dream of a new running jacket. Yes, I bribed myself into running fast. I inwardly chanted 'polka dots, polka dots' as I struggled through the race in no shape at all. It has been a frustrating second half of the year - injured, little motivation, time and efforts being devoted elsewhere - it was good to get the PB - and the jacket!

I think I will do the Twitter Road Race on November 3rd. It might be my last sanity saving 10km run before I embark on a 15 day cruise with the in-laws. Plus it will be in San Diego - which could make for some fun getting lost no idea where I am running. I'm hoping for some yoga on the boat, playing in the pool with Coach M, some snorkelling excursions, and some sleep - which has been eluding me for many many reasons.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm going to do the Twitter Road Race too, it's my last 'race' before we head to Mexico for my brother's wedding and I eat myself into a food coma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my last race before we embark on a 15 day cruise and I eat myself into a food coma too!

      Delete